Administrative Procedure 130
In consultation with staff, parents, students, and surrounding jurisdictions, Division school calendars will be designed to maximize student and staff learning, consider the needs of families and staff, and accommodate Alberta Education requirements including established diploma and provincial achievement exam schedules.
- As per Board Policy 2, Role of the Board, the Division Principal shall prepare a Division school calendar with input from stakeholders and make a recommendation to the Superintendent for approval by the Board prior to December 31 of each year.
- The Division calendar shall include:
- School-based, Division, or self-directed professional learning days for certificated and classified staff.
- Two operational days for student-parent-teacher conferences (or days-in-lieu, scheduled in November and March).
- Easter Monday as a non-operational day.
- The calendar shall be balanced between the two semesters to accommodate instructional time at the secondary level.
- Christian schools may develop and forward an alternative school calendar to accommodate the annual Christian Schools conference. The Division Principal shall provide the alternative calendar to the Superintendent for approval.
- The Superintendent will notify the Deputy Minister, prior to May 31 of each year, with regard to the Board-approved calendar for the upcoming school year.
Section 21, 39, 56, 60, 61, 97, 113 School Act
Section 25 Employment Standards Code
Teachers’ Collective Agreement
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Last updated: December 2018