Administrative Procedure 147
COMMERCIAL ELECTRONIC MESSAGES (ANTI-SPAM)
Electronic messaging is one of the ways the Division regularly communicates with parents, students, and staff. Generally, communications are limited to information sharing but occasionally, communication may encourage participation of a commercial nature including an expectation of profit, such as fundraising. Both email and website postings, and occasionally voice messages to telephones and/or short message service (SMS), are the electronic means for the Division or a school to send and receive messages.
- The information provided through the online New Student Registration and Returning Student Registration processes and posted on the Division website advise parents/guardians the Division and its schools communicate essential information electronically to parents and students.
- Parents/guardians will be asked to provide an email address, which the Division will interpret as express consent to send Commercial Electronic Messages (CEMs).
- Parents/guardians will be provided with the school and/or Division name as well as its mailing address, along with at least one of the following to unsubscribe at any time:
- an email address,
- a phone number,
- or website address
- The registration form will also state that express consent to send CEMs continues until the parent/guardian unsubscribes, or two years after the student graduates – whichever comes first.
- The Principal will advise staff that the use of emails is primarily to share information where there is no expectation of profit. When the CEMs have an expectation of profit, the Principal must approve staff access to the email lists of parents, vendors, donors, and supporters.
- Only those persons or businesses with whom the Division has express consent or implied consent through an ongoing relationship may be contacted by email when the expectation is for profit. Fundraising is an example of a CEM.
- The Division does not share its email lists with external organizations or persons.
- All CEMs from staff, on behalf of the Division, and/or using the Division email system must contain the unsubscribe notice outlined in Section 1.2 above.
Section 20, 22, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Canada Anti-Spam Act
Last updated: July 2018