Administrative Procedure 156
The Superintendent has the responsibility to ensure positive internal and external communications are developed and maintained. Proper protocol is to be followed for visits that occur within the Division.
- Royal and other dignitary visits
- While rare, school boards or schools occasionally may be included in visits by royalty (including those of Canada’s Governor General and Alberta’s lieutenant-governor), the prime minister or premier, cabinet ministers, ambassadors or other prominent dignitaries. In such circumstances, the formal protocol of either the Government of Canada or the Government of Alberta takes precedent. Information on the proper protocol in these special circumstances can be obtained from the Government of Alberta. The Superintendent must be contacted in these instances.
- In these circumstances, it is expected local event organizers will ensure trustees are included and properly recognized in the event whenever possible.
- Special visits
- The Division, in recognizing its responsibilities to share educational experiences, welcomes visitors to the school system.
- Visits to schools by persons from outside the school system shall be arranged by such officials as the Superintendent may appoint. Such visits will be arranged in consultation with the principals and teachers concerned.
- The Superintendent will extend to visitors, at Division expense, such courtesies as deemed desirable.
- General visits
- All visitors to a school are expected to make their presence known to the Principal or designate, and display visitor identification at all times.
- Signs indicating this expectation, and the direction to the school office, are to be posted at each unlocked entrance, and at other visible points in the school.
- The Principal determines right of access to the school. Principals may restrict or refuse permission for an individual or group to visit the school.
Section 52, 53, 197, 222 Education Act
Provincial Government Protocol
Federal Government Protocol
Last updated: June 2020