Administrative Procedure 157
Principals and appropriate Division Office personnel shall ensure the Canadian flag and the Alberta flag are displayed at schools and other Division facilities.
- The Canadian flag shall be displayed in each elementary school classroom.
- The Canadian and Alberta flags shall be flown at each school on every instructional day.
- The Canadian and Alberta flags shall be displayed at all public functions held in the schools.
- When a flag becomes tattered, torn or faded to the extent that it is no longer a fitting emblem for display, it shall be turned over to the assistant director, maintenance and operations, of Facility Services for proper disposal.
- Flags shall be displayed in accordance with the general protocol as set out by the Government of Canada and the Government of Alberta.
- The Principal shall:
- Purchase flags, as required, for the school.
- Display the Canadian and Alberta flags in accordance with this procedure.
- Principals may display flags in other areas within the school at his or her discretion.
- Placement of the flags shall be such that, when displayed with other provincial or national flags, the Canadian flag is always placed at the same height as the other, and to the left as viewed by an observer facing both flags.
- At the direction of the superintendent or the director of Communication Services, flags may be flown at half-mast:
- Upon the death of a current student, staff member or trustee.
- Upon the death of someone who is an integral part of the school community—this could include retired staff.
- Upon the death of a prominent citizen not associated with the Division.
- For a period commencing from notification by the superintendent or the director of Communication Services, up to and including the day of the funeral, at the site(s) specified.
- Upon direction to do so by the Government of Alberta.
- Current rules for flying flags are available on the Government of Canada and Government of Alberta websites.
Section 26, 50, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Ministerial Order 004/98
Last updated: July 2017