Administrative Procedure 167
The importance of taking appropriate action whenever an emergency threatens the safety, health or welfare of a student or staff member at school or during school-sponsored activities is recognized, therefore the installation of automated external defibrillators (AED) within Division facilities is supported.
- The Division has authorized the placement and use of automated external defibrillators (AED) at some Division facilities.
- In a medical emergency, the doctrine of “in loco parentis” applies as outlined in the Emergency Medical Aid Act.
- Any Division facility installing an AED must ensure:
- AED meets Health Canada’s Medical Device Regulations.
- AED is approved by the Canadian Standards Association (CSA).
- Notification to the Emergency Response Communications Centre (EMS dispatch) of type and location of AED.
- Establishment of procedures for the monitoring and maintenance of the AED.
Section 11, 33, 52, 53, 196, 197, 222 Education Act
Emergency Medical Aid Act
Last updated: June 2020