Administrative Procedure 202
Cultural diversity is a feature of Canadian society, and multiculturalism is an interdisciplinary process designed to foster the development of cultural understanding. Division schools are to provide learning experiences whereby all students have opportunities to develop pride in their cultural heritage, self-esteem, and understanding of Canada’s culture.
- Programs of instruction will acknowledge that ethnic and cultural diversity are positive features of Canadian society.
- Opportunities will be provided for students to learn attitudes and skills that enable them to succeed in the larger Canadian community.
- Programs that present opportunities for children to learn about their own heritage and to develop positive attitudes toward Canada’s multicultural society will be provided.
- The curriculum will reflect the contributions of all cultural groups to Canadian history, literature, and life.
- Principals will encourage the recognition and celebration of multicultural special days and holidays as an integral part of the curriculum.
Section 3, 18, 20, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Alberta Bill of Rights
Alberta Human Rights Act
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Constitution Act, 1982
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Last updated: March 2016