Administrative Procedure 206
HUMAN SEXUALITY PROGRAM
To ensure students achieve learning outcomes prescribed by Alberta Education through the programs of study, the Division, in providing grades 4-9 Health and Life Skills as well as Career and Life Management, shall ensure the human sexuality component is offered to all students.
- Principals shall ensure parents/guardians of students:
- have access to information about the learning outcomes of the Health and Life Skills K-9 and Career and Life Management (CALM) programs of study;
- may request to preview the learning materials used in teaching the outcomes related to human sexuality; and
- are advised at the beginning of the school year about their right and the process to exempt their child from the human sexuality components of the programs of study.
- If a parent requests a student be exempt from instruction in human sexuality, in accordance with Section 58.1 of the Education Act and using the Student Exemption Form (Form 205-3), the teacher shall provide alternative instruction for the student.
- Alberta Education resources shall be used to support the programs of study as they relate to the human sexuality outcomes.
- Community resources and personnel must be approved by the Principal.
Section 1, 2, 16, 19, 52, 53, 58.1, 196, 197 222 Education Act
Alberta Bill of Rights
Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, Constitution Act, 1982
Human Rights, Citizenship and Multiculturalism Amendment Act
Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12
Last updated: February 2020