Administrative Procedure 211
ENGLISH AS A SECOND LANGUAGE (ESL)
The Division recognizes its responsibility to provide support and instruction to English as a Second Language (ESL) students.
require additional English language supports and instruction to achieve grade level expectations in English and other subject areas. These students may have recently immigrated to Canada or have been born in Canada and live in homes where the primary spoken language is not English.
- ESL funding may be claimed for students who require additional English language supports and instruction.
- Students eligible for ESL funding must be coded either:
- Foreign born (code 301); or
- Canadian born (code 303).
- When a new ESL student is registered at a school, the ESL Funding Form (Form 211-1) must be completed and forwarded to the Associate Superintendent of Supports for Students.
- Annual assessment documentation shall be kept on file at the school that supports the coding and funding of these students.
- For information regarding funding, coding, assessment, and programming for ESL students, refer to the Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12 and the Funding Manual for School Authorities.
- ESL programs may be developed for students who do not speak English when entering Division schools even though they do not qualify under the Alberta Education definition of ESL for funding purposes.
Section 8, 9, 18, 20,39, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Last updated: March 2016