Administrative Procedure 221
The Division supports the provision of Outreach Programs to provide an educational alternative for secondary students for whom the traditional school setting does not meet their needs.
The Outreach Program allows students to access resources that improve their ability to succeed academically and socially. A flexible approach is taken to teaching and learning in recognition of individual student needs. Students shall have access to the number of instructional hours specified in the Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12. Students shall have access to instructional materials that follow the Alberta Education Program of Studies.
is a stand-alone school where outreach programming is offered.
is the provider in EIPS and is currently established in the communities of Sherwood Park, Fort Saskatchewan and Vegreville.
- Outreach will operate as a Division program and as an extension of Division secondary schools.
- Next Step Outreach shall receive a funding allocation from the Division with which to provide instruction to students.
- All secondary principals shall share responsibility for the implementation of the philosophy and operations of the Outreach program.
- Summer School and Continuing Education shall operate as distinct budget centres.
- High school students wishing to enrol full time at Next Step prior to September 30 do not need designated school approval.
- After September 30, high school students shall require a referral to Next Step from the school at which they are registered using the Next Step Referral Form (Form 221-1).
- Students who are not currently registered at a Division high school may register with Next Step at any time.
- When schools are considering referring a student to Outreach, contact shall be made first with the Next Step Outreach administration to co-ordinate the decision-making process before communicating with the student and their parents/guardians.
- Net proceeds of Off-Campus Credit Equivalent Units (CEUs) earned by students registered in Next Step Summer School or Continuing Education Summer School will be disbursed to the school the student regularly attends.
- At the end of the summer term, the supervisor shall create a spreadsheet of Off-Campus CEUs earned. The Director of Financial Services will make the necessary budget allocations to schools and Next Step Summer School.
Section 3, 11, 13, 18, 19, 52, 53, 196, 197, 222 Education Act
Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12
Outreach Programs Handbook (2009)
Last updated: February 2020