Administrative Procedure 265
SAFE USE OF FIREARMS AND WEAPONS
The Division recognizes the importance of the safe use, handling and storage of firearms or weapons that may be used for instruction or extracurricular activities.
- The Principal shall ensure student and staff safety is paramount when firearms or weapons are used in approved locally developed courses, sections of a course or as part of extracurricular activities.
- Staff using firearms/weapons for instructional purposes shall submit a safety report to the Principal that meets the following conditions and criteria:
- an outline of the safety aspects and how safety will be handled for the duration of the program;
- an outline of the supervision schedule and ratio of staff to students;
- a copy of the appropriate training certificates or permits of the instructor;
- communication to parents regarding the content and procedures of the program;
- written permission from parent/guardian(s) for participation/involvement; and
- provision for students to opt out of selected units of study with an alternative work plan.
- Firearms/weapons shall be securely stored in a locked location.
- In storage or conveyance, firearms/weapons shall be rendered permanently inoperable or have an essential component removed. The essential component must be stored in an alternative location.
- When the practical application component of the program is to be held at an approved facility off school property, all firearms/weapons shall be supplied by the instructor, and students will be informed not to bring any items to the facility.
- Where live ammunition is to be used at an approved firing range, the instructor must hold the proper training certificates.
- This administrative procedure does not apply to models used for class demonstration and/or for drama classes if the model meets the approval of the Principal.
Section 11, 33, 52, 53, 196, 197, 222 Education Act
Guide to Education: ECS to Grade 12
Last Updated: February 2020