Administrative Procedure 280
Program evaluation provides reliable insights into the quality and effectiveness of the Division’s instructional efforts and acknowledges the Division’s obligation to be accountable to the public for the quality of education provided for students. The Division has an obligation to ensure that all programs are being offered in accordance with the provincial program of studies.
Division programs shall be periodically evaluated to ensure that program objectives are achieved in an effective and efficient manner.
- Program evaluation:
- ensures that program objectives and delivery are consistent with student needs;
- identifies program strengths and areas requiring improvement; and
- recommends deletions, modifications, or continuation of program components as required.
- Criteria used to evaluate program effectiveness may include:
- adherence to Alberta Education curriculum guidelines and Division requirements;
- appropriateness and availability of resources to support program delivery;
- suitability and variety of learning activities in which students are engaged;
- degree of integration with other programs;
- quality of long-range, unit, and daily plans;
- articulation between and among grades;
- provisions made to accommodate individual student needs;
- suitability of student assessment procedures;
- quality of in-service and professional development programs offered in support of program development/implementation;
- community engagement; and
- results achieved by students.
- External program evaluations may be conducted by Alberta Education at the request of the Division.
- Program evaluations may be conducted at the school or Division level or as part of an overall school review.
- Each Principal is responsible for monitoring and evaluating the quality of programs in the school.
Section 18, 20, 39, 60, 61, 77, 78, 113 School Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Policy and Requirements for School Board Planning and Reporting
School Authority Planning and Reporting Reference Guide
Last updated: March 2016