Administrative Procedure 306
The Division is responsible to provide each of its resident students with an educational program that is consistent with provincial requirements and the educational needs of the student. External placements shall be considered only when the Division is not able to meet the basic educational needs of a student who is a resident student of the Division.
means an individual who is entitled to have access to an education program under section 8 of the School Act, and who is a resident student living within the geographic boundaries of the Division, as determined under section 44 of the School Act.
- Parents/guardians or independent students may initiate a written request to the Superintendent for an external placement.
- Prior to a decision for an external placement, the Superintendent shall direct Division staff to review the student’s programming needs and placement options available in the Division.
- If it is determined that an external placement is required, the Division shall pay the non-resident tuition fee established by the receiving school authority.
- If an external placement requested by the parent/guardian or independent student is deemed not educationally necessary by the Superintendent, in mutual agreement with the receiving school authority, the Superintendent may choose to transfer basic Alberta Education funding received on behalf of the student (less an administration fee) to the receiving school authority.
- Any remaining costs would be the responsibility of the parent/guardian or independent student. If a parent/guardian or independent student is in disagreement with the Superintendent’s decision regarding the external placement, the parent/guardian or the independent student may appeal to the Board as per EIPS Policy 13, Appeals and Hearings Regarding Student Matters.
- As per the School Act, the Board's decision may be appealed to the Minister.
- The external placement of a student shall be reviewed and approved annually.
Section 8, 20, 23, 44, 45, 51, 60, 61, 113, 123 School Act
Last Updated: May 2016