Administrative Procedure 330
The Division expects regular student attendance and provides supports for students who are unable to attend school due to extraordinary circumstances.
- Every reasonable effort shall be made to ensure that a student attends school.
- The Principal shall reference the importance of regular attendance in the school's student/parent/guardian and teacher communications.
- The Principal shall establish and communicate to students, parents/guardians, and staff procedures regarding student and parent/guardian contact following a student absence.
- Records of student attendance shall be maintained at the school.
- The parent/guardian is expected to provide an explanation to the school for a student absence. Phone calls, signed notes, medical notes, or dental notes are acceptable means of communication.
- In instances where one of the above is provided, the student absence shall be noted as PA: Parent Aware.
- All absences shall be reported to the parent/guardian, except in the case of an independent student.
- Where appropriate, the teacher shall determine how the student will make up missed assessments.
- If non-attendance becomes a concern, the Principal shall involve the Division Attendance Officer (Associate Superintendent of Supports for Students).
- For information regarding suggested pre-referral procedures and involving the Division Attendance Officer, refer to the Recommended Pre-Referral Procedures - Truancy/Attendance Board (Appendix 330-A).
Section 1, 12, 13, 14, 15, 18, 20, 22, 60, 61, 113, 126 School Act
Last Updated: May 2016