Administrative Procedure 354
STUDENT SUBSTANCE ABUSE
The Division is committed to providing a safe learning environment for all students that is drug and alcohol free.
- Students found distributing, selling, possessing, or under the influence of drugs or alcohol while on or near school premises or while participating in a school-sponsored activity shall be suspended.
- Students in possession of paraphernalia related to the use of drugs or alcohol may be suspended.
- Students in the company of students referred to in section 1 may be suspended.
- Possession of drugs for personal medical use prescribed by a licensed physician shall not be subject to disciplinary action.
- Cases involving the possession or selling of drugs or alcohol shall be reported to the Principal.
- The parent/guardian shall be notified immediately and requested to come to the school to pick up their child. Students under the influence of drugs or alcohol shall not be released from the school without parent/guardian permission and accompaniment.
- A letter describing the circumstances and the disciplinary action shall be sent to the parent/guardian as appropriate.
- A second or any subsequent substance abuse suspension may result in expulsion from that school.
- The police shall be notified when, in the judgment of the Principal, a criminal act has taken place.
Section 12, 20, 24, 25, 45, 45.1, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Last Updated: June 2016