Administrative Procedure 356
CONFERENCES IN THE PRESENCE OF LEGAL COUNSEL/ADVOCATES
The Division values collaboration with stakeholders. The Division shall permit legal counsel or advocacy representation during conferences when arrangements are made in advance and by mutual agreement. The participation of advocates or legal counsel is an exception to common practice.
the intent of conferences is to have parents, students, and staff share information.
legal counsel involves a member of the Alberta Law Society.
an advocate provides support for (an) individual(s) in the act of pleading for a cause, policy, or practice.
- Requests for attendance of legal counsel shall be made to the Superintendent.
- Requests for attendance of an advocate shall be made to the Principal for school-based conferences or to the Superintendent.
- In the event of a request for a conference where legal counsel or an advocate may be present, the Superintendent or Principal shall inform and ensure agreement of all parties.
- If legal counsel will be present at a conference, the Superintendent and/or designate and/or Principal shall also be in attendance.
- If parents/guardians bring legal counsel/advocate representation to a conference without making prior arrangements, the conference may be postponed until all parties are in agreement.
Section 16.2, 18, 44, 45, 45.1, 50.1, 50.2, 60, 61, 113 School Act
Last Updated: April 2017