Administrative Procedure 357
DAMAGE TO PROPERTY
The Division supports the recovery of repair/replacement costs from individuals or groups causing damage to Division property.
means direct and indirect costs to repair damage including, but not limited to, labour, material, and contract services.
- Where property has been intentionally or negligently damaged or destroyed by a student, the cost of repair and/or replacement or subsequent cost to the Division caused by a person’s action shall be recovered from the student or the parent/guardian.
- The Principal shall inform the parent/guardian, in writing, of the incident that occurred and the claim for recovery that shall be issued when the costs have been determined.
- Extreme incidents of vandalism involving students may be reported to the police.
- Where property has been identified as intentionally or negligently damaged by an individual or group other than a Division student, the pursuit of costs shall be determined by the school/department in conjunction with the Director of Financial Services.
- All damage to property shall be reported to the Principal/Director. The Principal/Director shall advise the appropriate departments as necessary.
- The appropriate department shall provide either the costs of repair and/or replacement, or an estimate of the cost to repair the damages.
- Unpaid invoices may be turned over to a collection agency at the discretion of the school/department after two reminder notices.
- Funds received shall be forwarded for processing to the school/department incurring the repair costs.
Section 12, 16, 16.2, 20, 60, 61, 113, 116 School Act
Last Updated: June 2016