Administrative Procedure 401
STAFFING FOR ALTERNATIVE CHRISTIAN SCHOOLS
The Division operates three Alternative Christian Schools: Fort Saskatchewan Christian (K-9), Strathcona Christian Academy Elementary (K-6) and Strathcona Christian Academy Secondary (7-12). These three alternative schools follow the regular Alberta curricula interpreted from an evangelical Christian philosophy. Teacher applicants must understand and support the philosophical basis of these programs.
refers to Protestant Christian churches that emphasize the authority and inerrancy of the Bible and salvation through the personal acceptance of Jesus Christ.
- Recruitment – Advertised positions for the Alternative Christian programs shall include the following statement:
Strathcona Christian Academy (Elementary and Secondary) and Fort Saskatchewan Christian schools are alternative programs that follow the regular provincial curricula interpreted from an Evangelical Christian philosophy. Candidates are to include relevant information about their Christian philosophy of education in their cover letter. A teacher in these programs is expected to bring a Christian viewpoint to issues and topics in all curricular areas. Candidates are asked to provide the phone number for a pastoral reference and to follow the school’s staff handbook.
- Screening and Interviewing – Teaching candidates shall follow the Division’s screening and interview processes and, if screened into a teacher pool, may be interviewed by Principals of Alternative Christian schools who shall use interview questions that explore the applicant’s understanding of Christian Education and assess fit with the school’s Christian culture.
- Substitute Teachers – Substitute teachers are screened and interviewed for the Alternative Christian schools using Division processes and procedures, and are also required to support the school’s Christian Educational and Theological Philosophy.
- Leaves of Absence – Because of the specific job requirements within the Alternative Christian Schools, a staff member receiving a leave of absence, including maternity leave, shall return from leave to the same Alternative Christian School, consistent with leaves within the Division. The leave shall not be from the Division, but rather from the local Alternative Christian school, which includes when a teacher extends his or her leave or maternity leave with an additional personal leave of absence.
- Principal Hiring – The hiring of a principal for an Alternative Christian school is a joint process, and requires a mutual decision and agreement between the Division and the school’s Christian Educational Society as per each school’s “Letter of Understanding.”
- Teacher Secondments – Because of the specific job requirements within the Alternative Christian schools, a staff member receiving a secondment shall return from secondment to the same Alternative Christian school.
Alberta Human Rights Act
Child, Youth and Family Enhancement Act
Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act
Personal Information Protection Act
Teaching Profession Act
Controlled Drugs and Substances Act
Criminal Records Act
Food and Drugs Act
Employment Standards Code
Last Updated: September 2019