Administrative Procedure 410
The Division supports participation in professional learning activities and in-services that contribute to the improvement of instruction and job performance for all staff.
Professional Learning Opportunities
include: Teachers' Convention, conferences, Division professional learning days, school-based professional learning days, self-directed professional learning, Specialist Council workshops, Central Services presentations, mentorship programs, professional learning communities, and formal and informal professional learning networks.
a process where individuals take the initiative, with or without the assistance of others, in determining their learning needs and goals relative to the Teacher Quality Standard (certificated staff) and continuous professional improvement.
- Certificated staff professional learning opportunities shall focus on the competencies, curricular changes and changing role demands.
- Classified staff professional development opportunities shall enhance job-related skills and knowledge, prepare employees for changing role demands and fulfil the succession planning goals of the Division.
- Classified staff shall attend three professional learning days per school year at the discretion of the principal or the department supervisor, which shall be prorated for part-time staff. The principal or supervisor may request a classified staff member to attend other professional learning days for which the employee shall be paid.
- Staff who are required but unable to attend a professional learning day because of illness, medical appointment or professional development outside the Division shall report their absence as per Division Absence Reporting and AESOP procedures.
- Funds for professional learning activities may be available through:
- Clause 9.5 of the Teachers' Collective Agreement;
- the Professional Improvement Fund;
- decentralized school and department budgets;
- the Classified Staff Professional Development Fund;
- the Classified Tuition Reimbursement Fund; and
- the Professional Development Fund for School-Based Administrators.
- Certificated staff are expected to seek opportunities for professional growth and development. Part-time staff are prorated to their full-time equivalency but encouraged to attend full-day professional learning opportunities.
Certification of Teachers Regulation 3/99 (Amended AR 206/2001)
Practice Review of Teachers Regulation 11/2010
Ministerial Order 001/2013 – Student Learning
Teaching Quality Standard (TQS)
Leadership Quality Standard (LQS)
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Practice Review Bylaws
Last Updated: January 2020