Administrative Procedure 412
Condolences may be extended by the Division to support staff members and their families upon the death of a staff or family member. Condolences may also be extended to trustees, trustees’ families and students’ families in the event of a death.
a spouse, partner, child, parent, sibling, grandchild, son-in-law, daughter-in-law, or parent of spouse or partner.
- Condolences may be extended to current employees on the death of a family member, Division students’ families on the death of a student and trustees on the death of a family member.
- The Associate Superintendent of Human Resources shall co-ordinate the extension of condolences and, with the permission of the deceased’s significant other or designate, may notify Division staff.
- Employees are asked to advise the Associate Superintendent of Human Resources of the death of a student; a current or former employee; trustee; or the death of a family member of an employee, student or trustee.
- In the event of the death of a current employee, student, trustee, spouse, parent of a student, or child of a current employee or trustee, the Associate Superintendent of Human Resources or designate may send an appropriate acknowledgement, and the Superintendent or designate may attend the funeral where appropriate and when possible.
- In the event of the death of a former employee or trustee, the Associate Superintendent of Human Resources may, if notified, send an appropriate acknowledgement.
- In the event of the death of a current employee, the Executive Assistant of Human Resources may post condolences on StaffConnect at the request of the immediate family. The Associate Superintendent of Human Resources shall provide the information to the Superintendent who may inform the Board and provide a condolence message for the Board Chair at the next Board meeting.
Last Updated: September 2019