Administrative Procedure 417
Staff reductions may be necessary at the Division level because of financial restrictions, changing enrolment patterns or student educational needs. A principal or supervisor may recommend to a director of Human Resources that staff reduction is necessary at his or her school or Central Services department.
occurs when a particular job or assignment in a school or Central Services department is eliminated because of circumstances such as changes in program, enrolment, facility or budget.
is the process used for decreasing the total number of full-time equivalents of existing staff.
is an individual in a supervisory capacity such as the Superintendent, Associate Superintendent, Principal or Director.
are employees identified through a substantial reduction of hours, full-time equivalent (FTE) or position abolishment.
- Staff reduction shall be accommodated through normal attrition, including retirement, resignations, leaves of absence or changes in employment status—full-time to part-time or change in FTE—when possible.
- In consultation with a director of Human Resources, the following criteria shall be used to identify the employees to be surplus or terminated:
- specialization required by students or programs;
- the availability of positions in the school or Division matching the employee’s training and experience; and
- the actual time served with the Division (seniority), exclusive of unpaid leaves, if all other things are equal.
- Contract terminations shall comply with the Classified Handbook, the Handbook of Procedures and Benefits for Classified Leadership Personnel and the Teachers’ Collective Agreement.
- Employees declared surplus from a school or Central Services department but not from the Division shall be identified by the supervisor and communicated to a director of Human Resources within the timelines specified each year. Employees shall be notified by their supervisor that:
- they have been declared surplus, including the supporting rationale; and
- they are required to apply for posted jobs based on the suitability of their training and experience.
- A director of Human Resources shall advise employees they are surplus and that assistance shall be provided to secure a suitable position, or that reasonable notice shall be provided.
- When employees are declared surplus from the Division:
- The Associate Superintendent of Human Resources shall confirm the number of surplus employees exceeding the Division's needs and provide the Superintendent with documentation identifying employees surplus to the Division who are considered for termination.
- Employees shall be given notice in writing when the employee is being terminated.
- Teachers declared surplus to the Division shall be considered for termination in accordance with the Education Act.
- Employees identified for termination may meet with a director of Human Resources to discuss procedures.
- During the period of notice of position abolishment or staff reduction, the Division shall allow the affected employee a reasonable amount of time off with pay, at the discretion of the supervisor, to be interviewed by prospective employers.
Employment Standards Code
Labour Relations Code
Last Updated: September 2019