Administrative Procedure 421
CERTIFICATED STAFF ASSIGNED TIME
The principal or director is responsible for the deployment of staff and timetabling, including the assignment of teaching and non-teaching time.
- Time for the purpose of lesson preparation, research, class visitations or meetings is part of the teacher’s regular school day.
- To provide an environment that is safe and conducive to learning, teachers shall arrive to work at a reasonable time before assigned time begins and depart at a reasonable time after assigned time ends, unless arrangements have been made with the principal.
- A teacher’s full-time equivalent (FTE) instructional time will be capped at 907 hours per year.
- The principal shall determine the FTE of all teachers based on the Division’s approved school calendar.
- Each teacher’s FTE shall be reported by the principal to a director of Human Resources in accordance with the established annual due dates.
- A teacher’s part-time FTE shall be calculated by comparing his/her part-time assigned teaching time to a full-time assignment at that school. In cases where full-time equivalents vary slightly in a school due to timetabling, an average of the full-time assigned time shall be used for calculation purposes.
- Full-time certificated staff at outreach programs shall be scheduled to be on site for 35 hours per week or seven hours per day, inclusive of lunch break, for all instructional and operational days, or an appropriate percentage based on FTE.
- When a teacher’s FTE is part-time teaching in a school and part-time consulting or serving in Central Services, the principal and appropriate director shall determine, through a pro-rating basis, what operational days shall be spent at the school and at Central Services. If the teacher or consultant attends half of the evening parent-teacher-student conferences, the teacher or consultant shall be eligible for half of the scheduled days-in-lieu for conferences.
- When the FTE of a part-time consultant or Central Services certificated staff member is less than 0.4, the number of days allotted to the consultant role shall be determined as noted above. However, the appropriate director, in consultation with the principal at the school, can distribute the days unevenly over the school year depending on the service required.
- Consultants or Central Services certificated staff shall provide services during all Division operational days.
- Consultants and Central Services certificated staff accept part of their assignment and responsibilities may be during the summer holiday period or other holiday periods as may be necessary to ensure the proper service in their role.
- Full-time teachers working part-time:
- Teachers wanting to reduce their time from 1.0 full-time equivalency (FTE) to part-time while retaining their full-time contract status shall apply annually in writing to a director of Human Resources through their supervisor prior to March 1.
- If the FTE of the part-time assignment or if the change in FTE cannot be mutually agreed upon, the principal shall determine the program needs and identify an FTE for the teacher’s assignment.
- The principal shall acknowledge any change in a teacher’s FTE by completing a Certificated Payroll Change Form (Form 421-1), available on Actuate, and submitting this to a director of Human Resources.
- Teachers shall notify a director of Human Resources in writing through their supervisor prior to March 1 if they plan to return to a full-time teaching assignment in the fall.
- A teacher’s request to return to full-time teaching shall not impact existing continuing contract teachers at the present school site, therefore a return to full-time teaching may result in the teacher changing school sites.
- Teachers under full-time contracts may work a part-time assignment up to a maximum of two years. Exceptional circumstances may be considered by Associate Superintendent of Human Resources.
Employment Standards Code
Labour Relations Code
Teaching Profession Act
Last Updated: February 2020