Administrative Procedure 460
The Division recognizes the need to provide continuous instruction to students and endorses the employment of substitute teachers for such purpose.
is an individual possessing a valid Alberta teaching certificate employed on a day-to-day basis without a written contract of employment.
- A director of Human Resources shall approve all substitute teachers for the Division.
- The principal shall select a substitute teacher where the vacancy is anticipated to be less than 20 consecutive teaching days.
- The principal shall inform a director of Human Resources if a substitute teacher is to be hired in the same position for 20 or more consecutive days.
- The duties and responsibilities of the substitute teacher shall include all those tasks associated with the instruction of students in the absence of the regular classroom teacher including:
- demonstrating enthusiasm and a positive attitude toward teaching;
- following and, if necessary, adapting lesson plans provided by the classroom teacher in an appropriate manner;
- preparing lesson plans where appropriate;
- using appropriate teaching strategies, methods of presentation and techniques to motivate students to meet lesson plan requirements;
- maintaining and developing class rules, procedures, routines and consequences as required to promote a safe, orderly learning environment;
- making use of the services and supports in the school;
- assessing student work and progress as required and providing feedback to students and the classroom teacher;
- keeping accurate attendance records;
- maintaining an accurate record of the events of the day and providing a written record for the classroom teacher;
- carrying out the classroom teacher's supervisory duties as directed by the principal;
- carrying out other professional duties assigned by the principal when the classroom teacher's preparation periods appear on the timetable;
- leaving the classroom in order;
- maintaining an appearance appropriate to the teaching activity;
- arriving at the school in sufficient time to prepare for the day’s assignment a minimum of 15 minutes before school starts and 15 minutes after school ends; and
- reporting to the school office to complete the appropriate forms, to obtain the information package for substitutes and to leave information for the classroom teacher.
Last Updated: September 2019