Administrative Procedure 500
ANNUAL DIVISION BUDGET
The annual budget is the financial component of the Division’s operating plan. The budget is not the plan itself but is a mechanism to achieve the goals and objectives of the plan.
Each school, year the Superintendent, with the assistance of the Secretary-Treasurer, shall prepare for Board consideration and approval, a detailed estimate of the revenues and expenditures required to operate the programs of the Division.
- Budget planning is the responsibility of the Secretary-Treasurer and shall be undertaken to conform to the budget timelines established by the Board.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall prepare a draft budget based on the priorities set out in the Three-Year Education Plan and the budget assumptions established annually by the Board.
- The Secretary-Treasurer shall present the draft budget to leadership and all educational partners in a consultative process.
- The Superintendent shall present the draft budget to the Board.
- Following Board review and approval, a budget for the next school year shall be submitted to Alberta Education in the spring of each year.
- Under the general supervision of the Superintendent, the Secretary-Treasurer shall administer the budget of the Division.
- Subsequent to the September 30 enrolment count, a revised budget shall be prepared and presented to the Board for approval.
- Following Board review and approval, a final budget in the form prescribed by the Minister shall be submitted to Alberta Education on or before November 30 in each year.
- The Secretary-Treasurer is accountable to the Superintendent for the effective control of expenditures within the budgetary limits established for departments and for schools.
Section 60, 61, 78, 113, 116, 145, 146, 147, 148, 149, 150, 151, 152 School Act
Section 16 Government Accountability Act
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Policy and Requirements for School Board Planning and Results Reporting
School Authority Planning and Reporting Reference Guide
Last Updated: July 2018