Administrative Procedure 504
CLIENT SERVICE CENTRES
The Division supports the formation of client service centres in order to expand upon and enhance services, programs, and access to facilities. The primary purposes of client service centres shall be for the provision of services that are required by the Division or result in a profit.
Client Service Centre:
is a department that provides non-mandated goods and services to internal and external clients (e.g. Continuing Education – Non Credit).
Modified Full Cost:
is the cost of resources used to provide a good or service, including all direct labour and supplies and a proportionate amount of management salary.
- All client service centres shall operate within provincial legislation, Alberta Education policies, Board policies, and Division administrative procedures.
- Client service centres shall complement the programs in place for students, communities, and Division staff.
- Requests to establish a client service centre shall be initiated using the prescribed business plan format and forwarded for consideration to the Superintendent and the Secretary-Treasurer.
- Client service centre operations shall be reviewed annually in the fall during the review of school education plans, and updated as part of the budgeting process.
- Consultation for goods and services with client service centres shall take place prior to consideration of external providers.
- Client service centres may charge fees to internal clients at a rate to achieve modified full cost recovery.
- If external providers are utilized, the goods or services shall meet Division quality standards.
- Client service centres shall make a financial contribution to the Division.
- Client service centres shall charge fees to external clients to achieve a profit.
- Fees for external clients shall be established and approved by the Principal or Director during the budgeting process.
- Client service centres’ revenue and expenditures shall be budgeted as a distinct unit using a modified full cost model.
- The operating budget shall project revenue for the fiscal year based on prior year revenue and other known factors.
- The budgeting process shall require an estimate of revenue for the spring budget, which shall be updated for the fall budget.
- Revenue from internal services shall be projected to achieve modified full cost recovery.
- Revenue from external services shall be projected to achieve at a minimum modified full cost recovery, with profit as the goal.
- Surpluses and deficits shall be administered according to Administrative Procedure 501, Financial Management.
Section 20, 60, 61, 113, 116, 145, 147, 148, 152 School Act
Funding Manual for School Authorities
Guide to Education ECS to Grade 12
Policy and Requirements for School Board Planning and Reporting
School Authority Planning and Reporting Reference Guide
Last Updated: November 2018