Administrative Procedure 541
NAMING OF SCHOOLS AND OTHER DIVISION-OWNED FACILITIES
The names of schools and other Division-owned facilities shall be approved by the Board as per Board Policy 2, Role of the Board. The Division requires the following administrative procedures are adhered to prior to a recommendation going forward to the Board.
- The following criteria shall be used in the selection process of naming any Division school/facility/room:
- name based on a subdivision/identifiable area;
- name based on an important contribution to the Division, community, or society; and/or
- name based on a competition or contest.
- The process to consider a proposed dedication or memorial shall include:
- communication with the Superintendent, Director of Communication Services, and Director of Facility Services;
- a letter of support from the Principal;
- a letter of support from the School Council; and
- approval from the namesake, or immediate next of kin, as appropriate.
- The Principal shall prepare a report outlining the details of the proposal for presentation to the Superintendent. The report shall specify details (e.g., plaque, dedication ceremony, costs, donations, etc.).
- Copies of all documentation shall be kept at the school.
- The proposed name of a school/facility/room, including a memorial dedication, shall be recommended for approval to the Board by the Superintendent at a regularly scheduled Board meeting.
- Pursuant to Board motion 142/2017, the term École will be used only for single track French Immersion schools, such as École Parc Élémentaire and École Campbelltown.
Section 20, 60, 61, 113, 116 School Act
Last Updated: January 2018