Administrative Procedure 543
ACCESS TO BUILDINGS/KEYS
Controlled access to Division buildings protects property.
refers to any legal tool of entry (e.g., keys, fobs, cards, etc.).
- Teachers shall have access to assigned schools to prepare classrooms, provide instruction, attend related functions, and supervise extra-curricular activities.
- If access is outside of the regular school day and at a time when custodial staff are not on duty, the employee shall be responsible for the security of the building.
- During school breaks and extended holidays, staff shall not be permitted in the building during times specified by the Director of Facility Services that may interfere with scheduled cleaning, maintenance and/or renovation, and construction activity. A schedule of these activities shall be provided to the staff by the Principal.
- Staff members shall abide by the onsite working alone protocol.
- When custodial staff are on duty, staff members shall make every effort to avoid interfering with the performance of the custodial/maintenance duties.
- The Principal is responsible for the keys to the school except those issued to Facility Services staff. The Principal:
- may obtain the number of keys necessary for the successful operation of the school; and
- shall sign for keys, distribute, and account for them at all times.
- The Principal shall enforce general and specific procedures regarding keys as outlined herein.
- Keys are obtained from and replaced by the Director of Facility Services. No one else shall cut or make a Division key.
- Principals can request keys/fobs by completing a Facility Services Key Request Form (Form 543-1) or a Facility Services Key Fob Request Form (Form 543-2) and submitting the form to the Facility Services Desk.
- Broken keys must be returned to the Director of Facility Services for replacement.
- Keys no longer required shall be returned to the Director of Facility Services.
- To lend a key on any pretext is contrary to Division procedures.
- Any loss of a key shall be reported immediately to the Director of Facility Services. In certain cases, such loss may involve having to rekey each lockset, a decision left to the discretion of the Director of Facility Services.
- Every precaution must be taken to ensure the security of school keys.
- Keys shall not be left on shelves, in unlocked drawers, hanging on hooks, or in any other accessible place.
- Keys shall be carried on the person or kept in a secure place at all times.
- Keys shall not be kept on school labelled lanyards, on school badges, or with school documents.
- Doors must be locked, lights turned off, and the security system armed when the last employee leaves the building.
- The cost for additional keys, replacement keys, and rekeying of locksets shall be a school expense.
Section 18. 20, 27, 60, 61, 96, 113, 116, 117 School Act
Petty Trespass Act
Last Updated: August 2016