Administrative Procedure 547
VOLUNTEER FACILITY PROJECTS
The Division recognizes the contributions employees and community volunteers make to upgrade and maintain school facilities through financial assistance, donations of materials, equipment and supplies, and donation of labour. The Division also recognizes the need to ensure such contributions are made in a safe and appropriate manner.
- Insurance, compliance with codes, standards, fire regulations, occupational health and safety requirements, and other legal requirements govern the work undertaken to upgrade or maintain school facilities, which shall be performed by Facility Services staff or qualified contracted service providers.
- Employees, students, or volunteers wishing to undertake volunteer facility projects shall work with the Principal to develop a project work proposal, including a safety plan.
- The Principal and Director of Facility Services shall work collaboratively to consider volunteer facility projects.
- The use of volunteers, employees, and/or students may be allowed in certain circumstances, subject to the approval of the Director of Facility Services.
- Generally, projects requiring development permits, building permits, or structural changes cannot use volunteers, employees, and/or students.
- Painting of murals shall be considered on an individual basis.
- The Director of Facility Services shall review project proposals and may approve, conditionally approve, or not approve the request.
- The Director of Facility Services may request additional information such as drawings, specifications, and/or product information prior to approval. This additional information shall be at the expense of the school or volunteers.
- The Director of Facility Services shall provide written approval to the Principal, at which time the project may begin.
Section 20, 60, 61, 113, 116 School Act
Occupational Health and Safety Act
Last Updated: April 2019