Administrative Procedure 555
TRANSPORTATION OF STUDENTS IN PRIVATE VEHICLES
The Division recognizes, on occasion, there may be a need to transport student(s) in privately owned vehicles. The following procedures shall be strictly adhered to when privately owned vehicles are used for this purpose.
- Except under emergency situations, the Principal shall obtain written permission from a student's parent/guardian when an employee or private individual shall be transporting students in a private vehicle.
- The Division does not encourage students transporting other students on any school business or activity.
- The Principal shall ensure the appropriate forms are completed before staff members, volunteers, or students are transported in private vehicles:
- Automobile Driver Authorization and Consent (Form 555-1);
- Permission to be Driven by Adult Volunteer in a Private Vehicle (Form 555-2); and/or
- Permission for Minor Student to Drive Him/Herself on a Field Trip (Form 555-3).
- The Principal shall ensure all driver declarations meet Division criteria before staff members or volunteers are allowed to transport students.
- Liability insurance must be held by the owner of the vehicle.
- First loss liability coverage shall be carried by the owner of the vehicle.
- The Division shall only be responsible for the amount in excess of the limit of employee’s insurance, which shall in no event exceed the aggregate limits of the Division's insurance coverage.
- The Principal shall receive written confirmation from drivers that they have adequate third-party liability coverage to a minimum amount of $2 million when students are being transported.
- Employees/drivers/schools requiring temporary liability insurance shall contact their insurance agent regarding arrangements for short-term liability coverage.
- The cost of this endorsement shall be the responsibility of the employee/driver/school.
- Vehicle damage shall be solely the responsibility of the vehicle owner.
- The Principal shall ensure a record is kept of which students are travelling in private vehicles during school related activities.
Section 20, 45, 45.1, 51, 52, 60, 61, 113, 117 School Act
Traffic Safety Act
Student Transportation Regulation 250/98 (amended AR 197/2000)
Use of Highway and Rules of the Road Regulation 304/2002
Last Updated: August 2016