TRUSTEE CODE OF CONDUCT
The Board commits itself and its members to conduct that meets the highest ethical standards. It is expected that all personal interactions and relationships will be characterized by mutual respect, which acknowledges the dignity and affirms the worth of each person.
- Each trustee shall uphold the implementation of any Board resolution after it is passed by the Board.
- Trustees shall discharge their duties faithfully, impartially and in a manner that will inspire public confidence in the abilities and integrity of the Board.
- Trustees shall devote time, thought and attention to the duties of a trustee so that they may render effective and knowledgeable service.
- All trustees of the Board shall accept that authority rests with the Board, and that a trustee has no individual authority other than that delegated by the Board.
- Trustees shall respect and preserve information of a sensitive or confidential nature that is not otherwise available to the public.
- No trustee shall engage in conduct during meetings of the Board or committees of the Board, or at any other times that would discredit or compromise the integrity of the Board.
- Trustees shall not use their influence to obtain employment or financial gain within the Division for family members or friends.
- While elected from specific wards, trustees must represent the best interests of the entire Division.
- Fiduciary responsibility supersedes any conflicting loyalty such as that to advocacy or interest groups and membership on other boards or staffs, or acting as an individual consumer of the Division’s services.
- When expressing individual views, trustees shall respect the differing points of view of other trustees, staff, students and the public.
- A trustee shall not advance allegations of misconduct and/or a breach of the Trustee Code of Conduct that are vexatious against another trustee.
Consequences for the failure of individual trustees to adhere to the Trustee Code of Conduct are specified in Board Policy 4: Appendix - Trustee Code of Conduct Sanctions.
Sections 33, 34, 51, 52, 53, 64, 67, 85, 86, 87, 88, 89, 90 Education Act
|Last reviewed:||Last updated:|
|May 25, 2015||-|
|Dec. 4, 2017||Jan. 25, 2018|
|Dec. 19, 2019||Dec. 11, 2019|