RECRUITMENT AND SELECTION OF PERSONNEL
The Board believes that the recruitment and selection of senior administrative personnel is a shared responsibility between the Board and the Superintendent.
The Board further believes strong leadership and administration at the Division and school levels are essential to the effective and efficient operation of the school system.
- The Board has the sole authority to recruit and select an individual for the position of Superintendent.
- The Board, in the case of the Superintendent, shall assume the sole responsibility for initiating the advertising process and shall make every reasonable effort to ensure all current Division employees are made aware of staff vacancies.
- The Superintendent or designate, in all other instances, shall assume the sole responsibility for initiating the advertising process and shall make every reasonable effort to ensure all current Division employees are made aware of staff vacancies.
- The following process shall be followed for the Secretary-Treasurer position:
- the Superintendent shall be responsible for the creation of a shortlist of candidates for this position;
- the Board Chair, Board Vice-Chair and the Superintendent shall constitute the interview team. The Board’s auditor may be asked to attend as an observer. The Superintendent may choose additional individuals to be part of the interview team;
- the decision will normally be made by consensus of the interview team. The successful candidate must be supported by a clear majority of the interview team. The Superintendent must be one of the votes in the majority; and
- the position shall have a role description and a written contract of employment. The Superintendent is delegated full authority to determine contract renewals.
- All offers of employment to the Secretary-Treasurer shall be conditional on the successful applicant providing a criminal record check and an Intervention Record Check that is acceptable to the Superintendent. Additionally, the Superintendent may require documentation certifying that the candidate is medically fit for the position.
- The Superintendent is delegated full authority to recruit and select staff for all positions other than the Secretary-Treasurer positions detailed above.
- the Superintendent may choose to involve the Board Chair on the interview team for the associate superintendent positions.
- all senior administration level positions shall have a role description and each person occupying one of these positions shall have a written contract of employment. Prior to an offer of employment, the contract of employment shall be vetted by Division legal counsel to ensure compliance with all applicable legal requirements. The Superintendent is delegated full authority to determine contract renewals.
Section 52, 53, 68, 222, 223, 224, 225 Education Act
|Last reviewed:||Last updated:|
|Sept. 17, 2015|
|May 8, 2017|
|March 19, 2018||April 19, 2018|
|Aug. 30, 2018||Aug. 30, 2018|
|April 18, 2019|
|Dec. 19, 2019||Dec. 19, 2019|