The Board supports the provision of alternative programs within the Division as an educational choice for students and parents.
means an educational program that emphasizes a particular language, culture, religion or subject matter, or uses a particular teaching philosophy; but that is not a special education program.
Alternative programs in the Division currently consist of French Immersion, Ukrainian Bilingual, Alternative Christian, Logos Christian, International Baccalaureate, and Outreach.
- Alternative programs shall:
- emphasize a particular language, culture, religion or subject matter, or use a particular teaching philosophy which is distinctly different from that emphasized in the regular program;
- be established only with Board approval of a detailed program proposal;
- be closed only with Board approval;
- receive a Division budget allocation upon approval by the Board; and
- be allowed to charge a non-instructional fee.
- The Principal, alternative program society, or other proponents shall submit to the Superintendent, or designate, a proposal to establish an alternative program according to the guidelines provided in an administrative procedure.
- Where an alternative program is offered as an alternative school:
- the alternative school shall not qualify for the small school allocation; and
- the alternative school shall receive all other budget allocations and services available to other schools.
- Criteria for approval and continued support of an alternative program include:
- all Division policies and procedures apply unless specifically exempted by the Board;
- there is a supportable education approach and there are numbers of students sufficient to warrant the program;
- the program is financially viable within the operational budget submitted as part of the program proposal;
- the program does not interfere with any student’s access to a regular program of instruction;
- the program follows the Program of Studies for Alberta;
- the program is integrated as part of the Division within existing schools wherever feasible;
- transportation to alternative programs shall be granted according to Board Policy 17: Student Transportation Services or as per an agreement in the program proposal; and
- staff shall be employed by, evaluated by, and responsible to the Division, according to Division procedures.
- The Board receives program evaluations on all Division alternative programs.
- Individual alternative programs shall be reviewed by administration every five years.
- The Board shall decide whether the alternative program will be terminated.
Sections 7, 11, 17, 19, 55 Education Act
Alberta Education (2010) Alternative Programs Handbook
|Last reviewed:||Last updated:|
|May 18, 2012|
|Nov. 30, 2015|
|Jan. 7, 2016||Jan. 21, 2016|
|Dec. 12, 2016|
|Feb. 12, 2018|
|Jan. 29, 2019||March 14, 2019|
|Dec. 19, 2019||Dec. 19, 2019|
|Jan. 14, 2020||Jan. 23, 2019|