Sherwood Park, AB. — The next municipal election is Monday, Oct. 18, 2021, which includes the election of public school trustees. This is an opportunity for interested residents to get involved in public education—by casting a vote for a public school trustee or running as a candidate for public school trustee.
Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS) is currently accepting nominations for nine public school trustee positions across the Division:
- One trustee from the western portion of the County of Minburn No. 27 Ward
- One trustee from the Lamont County No. 30 Ward
- Two trustees from Electoral Subdivision No. 1, comprised of lands within the corporate limits of the City of Fort Saskatchewan
- Five trustees from Strathcona County, which is divided into the following electoral subdivisions:
- Three trustees from Electoral Subdivision No. 2, comprised of lands within the Hamlet of Sherwood Park;
- One trustee from Electoral Subdivision No. 3, comprised of lands lying north of Secondary Highway 630, excepting those lands within the Hamlet of Sherwood Park; and
- One trustee from Electoral Subdivision No. 4, comprised of lands lying south of Secondary Highway 630, excepting those lands within the Hamlet of Sherwood Park.
Those interested in running for the office of public school trustee can find more information about becoming a candidate at www.eips.ca/trustees/election-2021. Recent changes to the Local Authorities Election Act expanded the candidate nomination period for Alberta municipal elections, providing more time for candidates to file nomination papers.
For the EIPS 2021 public school trustee election, nominations must be filed with the Returning Officer, or a designate, at EIPS Central Services, 683 Wye Road, Sherwood Park AB.
Candidates can file their nomination papers by appointment only during regular office hours between now and the close of nomination day on Sept. 20, 2021 at 12 p.m. (noon). Prospective candidates can contact EIPS Central Services by phone at 780-464-3477 (toll free: 1-800-905-3477) or email email@example.com to schedule an appointment. NOTE: All required forms must be completed in full and signed by a Commissioner for Oaths for Alberta, as applicable, before submission. EIPS will not undertake commissioning of election documents for the 2021 trustee election.
EIPS is one of Alberta’s largest school divisions, serving approximately 17,000 students in 43 schools. We are proud to be an integral part of our communities, including Sherwood Park, Fort Saskatchewan, Vegreville, Strathcona and Lamont counties and the western portion of the County of Minburn.
For more information contact:
Karen Baranec, Returning Officer, EIPS 780-417-8169
Laura McNabb, Director, Communication Services, EIPS 780-417-8204 cell 780-405-4902