How old does my child need to be in order to register?
- To be eligible to attend Kindergarten in the 2016–2017 school year, your child must turn five years old in 2016.
- To be eligible to attend Kindergarten in the 2017–2018 school year, your child must turn five years old in 2017.
When is the Kindergarten program available?
Programs generally operate on the regular school calendar, commencing in early September and finishing in late June. Students receive 475 hours of instruction in either half- or full-day settings. A list of half- and full-day programs is available. Contact your local school for more information.
What will my child learn?
Kindergarten programming promotes child development in early literacy, early numeracy, citizenship and identify, personal and social responsibility, physical skills, creative expression, and community and environmental awareness. Complete details on Kindergarten programming are available on Alberta Education's website.
Is it advantageous for my child to attend a Kindergarten Program?
Because a child's experience and learning in Kindergarten enhances their social and intellectual skills, children are better able to make the transition to the Grade 1 learning environment.
What will it cost to send my child to a Kindergarten program?
Schools charge a registration fee to cover incidentals, such as field trips. This varies from school to school. Division-level school fees and transportation fees are listed on our website. Please inquire with your local school about additional fees they may charge specifically in Kindergarten.
What is a parent's role in the classroom?
Parents are encouraged to volunteer their time in the classroom and to assist in supervising, such as field trips. In order to volunteer, you must first provide a criminal record check. Information is available in Administrative Procedure 490, Volunteers in Schools, or contact your child's school for further details.
How do I register?
To register your child for Kindergarten:
- Complete the Student Registration Form. Your choice of morning or afternoon classes, if available, is not guaranteed.
- Take the completed form to the school you are registering your child in. Registration forms will be accepted starting Jan. 16, 2017 at designated schools and starting Feb. 1, 2017 at non-designated schools (as per the boundary exemption request process).
- Bring with you proof of your child’s name, residence, date of birth, and citizenship (a birth certificate is ideal).
- After registering at the school, contact Student Transportation at 780-417-8151 or using our online contact form to make all busing arrangements, if required.
- If you wish for your child to attend a non-designated school for Kindergarten, please follow the boundary exemption request process.