Denise Charbonneau - Assistant Principal, Vegreville Campus and Continuing Education
Ed Gillis - Assistant Principal, Fort Saskatchewan Campus
Kris Reid - Assistant Principal, Sherwood Park Campus
School Education Plan
Next Step is an extension of all schools across the district, providing support and innovative programming for students from grades 1 to 12, as well as adults.
The programs we offer are: Home Education, Jr. and Sr. High Outreach, Night School, Summer School and non-credit courses. We create programming for students during the regular school day, in the evening, during the weekends and in the summer months. A number of our students are accessing blended programs with other schools. Many other students are mature students who need a few credits to graduate or need to upgrade courses to support entrance into postsecondary institutions.
Education Revolving Around You
Our caring staff offers flexible programming and scheduling to enable students to have positive and successful learning experiences in alternative settings. We focus on helping students and adults to connect or reconnect with school, create positive personalized learning experiences for all of our students, and assist students in their individual transitions.
We believe that:
- learning is best accomplished when students feel welcomed, safe, accepted and respected.
- many students learn best outside traditional schools.
- every student has the right to access opportunities to experience success.
- learning can occur in a variety of environments.
- every student has the ability to learn.
- success should be individually defined.
- all students need to take ownership of their learning.
- helping students connect or reconnect with school
- differentiating/personalizing learning opportunities
- assisting students with transitions - junior to senior high, senior to post secondary, high school to work
- All students can learn and experience success.
- A quality education contributes to the emotional, intellectual, physical, and social development of the student.
- Learning is a lifelong process in which education plays a fundamental role.
- Our program must be innovative, flexible, and continuously improving in order to meet the challenges presented by change.
- Integrity, honesty, tolerance, and responsible behaviour must be fundamental in all that we do.
- All students deserve a safe and caring environment.
- Education is the foundation of success.