At Elk Island Public Schools (EIPS), our teachers have witnessed the strain that our school families have been under due to the economic downturn, and we understand that school fees can represent a real hardship for families who are facing a reduction or loss of income. Bill 1 - An Act to Reduce School Fees was proclaimed by Alberta Education on June 5, 2017, and EIPS supports the government’s efforts to ease the financial burden for families.
EIPS has reduced the financial burden on families through eliminating Learning Resource fees for 2017-18.
EIPS charges a variety of additional fees to support the quality programs and services offered for students. For information regarding the determination of these fees, please see our:
- FAQ - School Fees;
- FAQ - Transportation; and
- Administrative Procedure 505 School and Administrative Fees.
All school jurisdictions in Alberta are required to establish a schedule of transportation and school fees that may be charged. The per-student fee amounts, as reviewed and approved by the Board of Trustees and the Minister of Education are detailed in the schedule below:
Note: this list does not include extracurricular (field trip) fees or activity fees (and will be updated in the fall once these fees have been determined and approved).
Fees are charged to international and non-resident students, in addition to the attending school and transportation fees.
EIPS uses a fee management system, ACORN, to streamline the school fee and transportation fee payment processes for parents and school administrators. ACORN is accessible through the PowerSchool Parent Portal.
Important information for families in 2017-18:
- 2017-18 transportation fees for students are currently posted on the PowerSchool Parent Portal and are due by June 30. Further information regarding student transportation fees can be found here.
- Individual School fees for students will be posted on the PowerSchool Parent Portal early in the school year.
- As soon as school fees are posted they can be paid online using the PowerSchool Parent Portal. School fees are due within 30 days of being assessed.
- Please note: Additional fees may be added throughout the year (for example, field trip and athletic team fees) as your child takes part in various activities or may be adjusted by changes in selected optional courses in junior and senior high school. Please check the PowerSchool Parent Portal on a regular basis to ensure all applicable fees have been paid.
- If circumstances exist where you are unable to pay your students fees you can apply to have certain fees waived. For further information and application forms for waiver of fees, please see here. Please note the cut off dates for waiver applications. No applications will be accepted after these dates.