Register your child in one of our excellent Kindergarten programs and spark your child's appetite for lifelong learning!
Further information about our Kindergarten programs can be found under the links to the left or in our 2015-2016 Kindergarten Guide.
FAQs about Kindergarten
How old does my child need to be in order to register?
To be eligible to attend Kindergarten in the 2015-2016 school year, your child must be five years of age on or before December 31, 2015.
When is the Kindergarten program available?
Programs generally operate on the regular school calendar, commencing in early September and finishing in late June. Students receive 475 hours of instruction in either half- or full-day settings. Contact your local school for more information.
What will my child learn?
Kindergarten programming promotes child development in early literacy; early numeracy; citizenship and identify; personal and social responsibility; physical skills; creative expression; and community and environmental awareness. Complete details on Kindergarten programming are available on Alberta Education's website - Curriculum Express for Parents.
Is it advantageous for my child to attend a Kindergarten Program?
Because a child's experience and learning in Kindergarten enhances their social and intellectual skills, children are better able to make the transition to the Grade 1 learning environment.
What will it cost to send my child to a Kindergarten program?
Schools charge a registration fee to cover incidentals, such as field trips. This varies from school to school; please inquire with your local school.
What is a parent's role in the classroom?
Parents are encouraged to volunteer their time in the classroom and to assist in supervising, such as field trips. In order to volunteer you must first provide a criminal record check. Please contact your child's school for further details.
How do I register?
To register your child for Kindergarten:
- Complete the Student Registration Form. Your choice of morning or afternoon classes, if available, is not guaranteed.
- Take the completed form to your designated school, even if you intend to pursue a boundary exemption for your Kindergarten child. Registration forms will be accepted starting January 5, 2015.
- Bring your child’s birth certificate so school personnel can make a copy, as required by Alberta Education.
- Contact Student Transportation at 780-417-8151 or using our online contact form to make all busing arrangements, if required.
- If you wish for your child to attend a non-designated school for Kindergarten, please follow the boundary exemption request process.