What is Skills Alberta?
Skills Alberta is part of a national association, Skills Canada, which has offices in each territory and province in Canada.
To meet industry and education demands and in anticipation of future trends, Skills Canada Alberta was established in 1992 to equip young minds with the skills that will help Canada compete successfully in a drastically changing world market. This is accomplished through programming targeted at junior high, senior high and post-secondary students.
At Skills Alberta they strive to set students up for success in the trades and technologies industries. Their goals are:
- To improve the public perception of the importance of trade and technology-based careers.
- To promote the career path opportunities within trades and technologies.
- To enhance the quality of technological education.
- To develop and maintain strong links between business, education, government and labour.
- To encourage students to recognize the value of completing secondary and post-secondary education for personal development and future employability.
At Skills Alberta they promote excellence in trades and technology careers through skills competitions, hands-on programs for students and resources for educators.
Finding Your Niche Figuring out where to start can be the hardest part. Students have the opportunity to explore various skills and then hone in on what makes you tick, connecting to industry professionals to help refine your craft.
2021 Skills Exploration Days- (virtual) in-school Wed., December 1 9:00am - 2:00pm
2022 Provincial Skills Canada Competition- Wednesday, May 4 & Thursday, May 5
2022 Skills Canada National Competition- Team Alberta Trip May 24-28