One responsibility of the Board of Trustees is to develop and approve the Board Policy Handbook. This Handbook has been developed to highlight and support the very important governance function of the Board. In addition to clearly defining the role of the Board, the role of the Superintendent, and the delegation of authority from the Board to the Superintendent, it includes the following as policies:
- Foundational statements that provide guidance and direction for all activities within the Division;
- Directions for how the Board itself is to function and how individual trustees are to conduct themselves; how Board committees and representatives are to function;
- Statements as to how appeals and hearings will be conducted;
- Non-delegable matters such as school closures and policy-making; and
- Specific matters which the Board has chosen not to delegate to the Superintendent.